Barrels, Barrels, Barrels….

Nader getting his dose for the day.

We all seemed to crawl out of bed this morning with the confusion of where all our energy went.  With the crew keeping on top of the conditions by the time I woke up a sunrise we had already traveled 45 mins checked one spot and were on our way to the next.  Upon checking two more we finally decided on a spot called Lighthouse rights and lefts.

Birds eye view of Lighthouse rights.

Appropriately anchored directly in front of a lighthouse we slowly got the day started.  The right looked a bit fast and was about head high.  The left was groomed, clean and top to bottom but looked small….. until somebody finally paddled out to it.  Immediately I said to Tim, ” How do I get to the top of that lighthouse?”  He said, oh they’ll let you, just take an Indo.  Meaning one of our crew over to the island to accompany us.  This was the first Island we have seen people in many days.  There are 5 people that tend to the lighthouse and live on the small island.  The “lighthouse”  looks like one of our steel cell phone towers.  So we got dropped off 50 yards from the beach and swam, with my camera gear in a dry bag.  The locals were stoked to see us.  One spoke pretty good english which was also a first in our travels.  Climbing the tower wasnt the most comforting experience, but they assured us….. we built, strong like Indonesian.  I am sad to say that this was not making me more confident about the tower.  One step at a time I made my way up.  Once at the top it was that birds eye view that was lacking from my visual experience of these islands and the trip in general.  Snapping away, it was half amazement and half fear of the thing toppling down.

Making my connections with the Indonesian Coast Guard.

Powered by solar panels the light house is run by the Indonesian coast guard.  The picture shown is with the Indonesian coast guard!  Climbing down, I asked for the tour of their small compound of houses, 3.  Then hiked down the beach where Cliff, Nader, Cappy and Samer were scoring long left hand pits.

No need for sunblock.  Cliffy in the barrel at Lighthouse lefts.

I continued to shoot them until the tide go to low.  Returning to the boat we pulled anchor and it was time to search for our low tide spot.  After checking a few spots we ended up back at the hole, where we had checked in the morning.  Once again by ourselves, the break looked to be right on the rocks from a far.  Once the cook Tim went out and had a go Joel the Captain followed, then I was actually the first one to swim out, and decided to with my housing as the light was dipping into the horizon.

Our captain Joel leading the way with his board and the boat.

It was firing and soon after Nader and Samer joined.  We all linked up and got the shots we had been searching for.  Till sunset we charged the left hander they call the hole.

The Hole.

Samer snapped his board in half and was done.  I was pretty much water logged and called it a day.  A great dinner followed and then the sea snakes were putting on a show once it was dark around the tin boat.  Black and white striped poisonous snakes were attracted the warmth of the engine.  Kinda creepy.

Indonesian Coast Guard heading out.